Monday, 25 June 2012

Busy day

It was a busy day on Sunday, after clearing up the aftermath of the small gathering we had the day before for our tenth wedding anniversary, we packed all we needed for a few hours family sail and left the house at 11am. Packing was no lightweight task considering the expected weather, these were the first slight seas to be had at the weekend but the forecast was for strong wind heavy showers and sunshine. We took everything. After a very relaxing lunch on the boat we all took great pleasure in rigging the sails, a jib and putting a reef in the main. Fergus and Freyja loved hooking on the jib to the forstay and putting on shackles. The sun had all made us very hot in our thermals sat having lunch and when dad suggested putting on waterproofs it fell on deaf ears. So he said it again as we gently put-putted under power out the shelter of the harbour into the cold NNW wind and the large dark clouds came into view with obvious rain coming our way. The waterproofs went on faster than I had seen before. The initial gentle heaving of the sea reminded Fergus and Freyja they were at sea and Fergus panicked and then calmed down when he saw mum and dad grinning, and Freyja just never stopped taking in the big grin on dads face so saw nothing to be afraid of. Clear of all shore line Jenny took the helm and dad lifted and set the sails for a reach, but not close to wind, just to keep things moving along gentle. At the point the boat healed over slightly Fergus took the fear as he had the first time he experienced this with grandad on the Caladonian Canal. After a few minutes of reassurance Fergus calmed down and after a tack or two heading past St Abbs he jumped on to his feet and announced "I have grown new legs, I have grown my sea legs", much hilarity and relief all round. After a jibe and a second go at heaving too and fishing, Freyja announced her tummy hurt, and with my immediate response in turning Chuckle home Freyja was quite happy studying the coastline finding the spot where we like to picnic at Coldingham Bay. Fergus 7 years and Freyja 4 had been waiting a long time to go out in Chuckle and a good deal of nervous energy had been spent in the brief 2 hours we were out. Jenny noted a considerable adventurers pride and triumphant, and quiet sense of excitement from them. Hot soup and cheese rolls all round, came from the galley, we had a much deserved supper aboard in the harbour. Fergus insisted in getting another shot at fishing in before we left. While the boat was made good to leave he stood in a heavy rain shower fishing for flat fish. Hopefully this is the beginning of future summer excursions on Chuckle, and acclimatisation to the trials of the seaway in good time for a few days up the coast on a mini cruise. We can but try.

No comments:

Post a comment